Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Happy Black History Month, everyone!
I hope that everyone is celebrating this month and our history to the fullest this February. But let's not only celebrate our history for 28 days, we MUST celebrate it everyday because our history matters and tells a story that must be heard. Here at my university, I am a part of the Black History Month committee and never realized until I joined this committee how much people have really lost interest in learning about their own history. It is a must in my eyes, and I know that sometimes we feel that saying "Black this" and "Black that" can be overbearing at times, but what is wrong with proclaiming your history and all of its glory? I think that it is time for a change, and I am starting with myself.


So today, I would like to give you a lil' Black History lesson on one of the most profound African American artists of our time......Mr. James Brown.....AKA...The Godfather of Soul......AKA....The Hardest Working Man in Show Business. Did you know that because of Mr. Brown's presence at a concert in Boston on April 6, 1968, he prevented a riot from arising because of Dr. Martin Luther King's death? Did you know that he has had more singles to top the Billboard Hot 100 without one taking the number 1 spot? Did you know that because of him, the idea of "rapping" on a record was created? Did you know that he has been one of the most sampled artists of all times? Did you know that his music had a major influence during the Civil Rights Movement of the 1960s? Did you also know that at one time, he had owned many radio studios and radio stations and was recording his own songs on his own say so? Needless to say, James was a bad man. He is a big inspiration to me and many other African Americans who have been touched by the many things that he has done as a performer, activist but most importantly as a Black man.

I leave you with a couple of Mr. Brown's hit performances and songs. Long live Mr. James Brown, his spot is well deserved during the celebration of Black History Month. Keep it alive, yall! Peace!






0 comments:

 

Copyright 2010 Purpleskyyys.

Theme by WordpressCenter.com.
Blogger Template by Beta Templates.